May 11, 2009

apartment search

The apartment system in BA is fairly simple if you're just renting a room from someone. Rent is paid month to month, there are no contracts or leases to sign, no credit check, rent is way cheap (especially compared to Washington, DC!), the apartment is furnished, utilities are included in the rent, there's almost always WiFi, and there's almost always a cleaning service that comes once a week or so to not only clean but to also change your sheets and towels.


These pros outweigh the cons and the cons are also found in the US anyway, and I'm sure worldwide. Craigslist is used often here for housing. There are an abundance of postings, but unfortunately not all are quality. Some barely give any information, I was really only interested in the listings that gave information on at least the apartment, room, and roommates. These are all good things to know before moving in! If you're looking for a specific neighborhood, as I was, you have to check back often for new listings, as the listings are for all over the city. Some listings don't have pictures, and even the ones that do can be deceiving. I visited an apartment which, from the pictures, had looked bright and sunny. The reality was small and dark. I was also told the roommate was a 25 year old female student from Taiwan. It was a 70ish year old woman from BA. Go figure.


I found my apartment through Craigslist but it had been posted by In-Buenosaires, which is a site where you tell them what you're looking for and they provide options to look at. They're very helpful and I definitely recommend them. A lot of families or singles rent out unused bedrooms in their home as a way to earn money, so you could be living with kids or someone much older than you. This obviously has pros and cons but I seem to have gotten lucky with the senorita I rent from!

Overall, much less hassle than in the states!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This is my FAVE post of yours...still. so funny!!!